(Quality) Greek mythology board games you can buy online [NOT Video games]
These games are the perfect gifts for kids that like mythology!
First things first:
Greek mythology - prologue
There is a reason why Greek mythology and myths have endured through the centuries and inspired kids and grown ups from every culture. They were one of the first explanations of the world and were transmitted from generation to generation.
Greek mythology has great characters, immortal gods and goddesses, fearless heroes, magnificent mythical creatures, a lot of adventures, moral dilemmas, love, action, drama and humor that inspires children and adults in every part of the world.
It is also not a coincidence that elements from Greek mythology are used in modern myth and fiction books, video games, tv shows and movies.
If you want to educate your children about Greece and Greek Mythology we suggest using fun and educational games.
In this post, we will show you the best Greek mythology games you can find (that are not video games), directly from Greece.
Greek mythology games and board games
Greek mythology tabletop games or board games are always a good idea and a great gift for children, especially if they have educational elements.
We provide to our customers the best Greek mythology games and board games. We know the value of the games we suggest in this list, based on personal experience and the great feedback we get from happy customers and kids from all over the world.
The games are made by the Greek “My Greek games” brand. It is an ethical and responsible company that cares about children and is fascinated about Greek mythology. Their mission is to provide fun and education based and inspired by Greek mythology and classical Greek writings like Homer’s Odyssey.
The best Greek mythology games for kids from Greece
Why the Greek mythology games (and board games) we suggest here are the best you can find online?
These are the reasons:
- They are based on internationally well-known classic games like domino, chutes and ladders, memory game and more; so you can start playing them right away. The point is to learn Greek mythology stories and not spend your time with a set of new rules of an unknown game.
- They are ethically made in Greece under the strictest European Union standards of manufacturing.
- These Greek mythology games provide knowledge about the original Greek myths while being fun for children and grown ups. They can be played by every member of a family.
- They are designed by modern Greek designers (like Ioannis Ergeletzis or Aristotelis Falegos) and have been awarded for their graphics and educational value by ERMIS and ΕΒΓΕ.
- Each game they produce is being tested by the creators children first – true story.
- We have tested these games personally and guarantee their quality. Also, we have sold hundreds of them to customers from all over the world (travelers that visit our area and our brick and mortar store in Katakolon while on a cruise).
- Besides Greek mythology stories these games teach important skills: They help children to develop fine motor skills, hand and eye coordination, shape and pattern recognition, memory, fair play and more
With no further ado, here is the list of these magnificent Greek mythology games:
1) The "Odyssey" board game
The Odyssey board game is a snakes and laders game telling the story of Homer's Odyssey and can be played by the whole family.
A colorful board game that follows Odysseus epic journey as told by Homer and kids love it!
A booklet is included that tells the story in a fun and child friendly way and it is a great introduction in such an important book that shaped the western literature.
The counters are little ships. No reading required.
For children 3+.
2) A Greek mythology Domino game for kids
Domino game is a classic that does not need an introduction.
It can be played by children and grown ups making it a great game for the whole family.
This domino depicts Greek mythology Gods and heroes,
It is an awarded design by ΕΒΓΕ and ERMIS awards.
For ages 3+
3) Memory game: The Greek mythology edition
Another classic, the "Memory Game".
Known to be a great game for kids or grown ups, since it sharpens the memory.
A leaflet included describes the characters that are depicted. All from Greek mythology: Gods, Goddesses and heroes.
It can also be played by one player.
4) Greek mythology playing cards
The standard playing cards deck is what you need to play hundreds of games.
You can find a short list (over 40 games!) here.
In this variation Greek mythology figures are depicted. Can you tell which one is depicted?
A pack of 54 playing cards with awarded design that teach in the meantime the characteristics of Greek mythology Gods and heroes.
5) The Odyssey puzzle game
This puzzle game depicts Gods and Greek mythology creatures as described by Homer.
Odysseus managed to overcome the obstacles and after a long 10 year journey arrived at his home in Ithaca to his loved Penelope.
Let the kid develop its fantasy, memory and motor skills. Let it find out who Odysseus was, who the cyclopes or the lotus eaters etc.
160 pieces of fun
Epilogue: Greek mythology in primary school in Greece
As Greeks, Greek mythology was part of the curriculum in school for one year on in the 3rd grade of elementary school.
It was an educational introduction to Greece’s great and endless history (over 7000 years) in a most pleasant pedagogical way.
We learned about the Greek Gods and Goddesses, heroes like Hercules or Theseus and more, and got used to studying and memorizing these easy to understand stories with a lot of symbolical depth.
A method full of fun and fantasy, preparing kids to study real history one year later.
Unfortunately back then there were no such great Greek mythology games that would help the learning process. But we are happy that our children have access to such great and fun educational material.
- If you are interested in the concept and thoughts on education by great Greek philosophers and teachers, check this blog article.
Did you find this useful?
Leave a comment and please Share!
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.